Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Now I Love Rubbermaid Too


If this logo is on it, buy it.
 If you've ever found yourself disgruntled with the world around you, feeling that we live in a man -eat- man kind of a place, I`ve got a story for you. it`s a good story, filled with human goodness.  You might even say it`s a beautiful story.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that it couldn`t hurt to send Rubbermaid a letter, telling them about Aiden`s complete admiration for their cleaning carts.  And their yellow buckets on wheels, and so on. Along with the letter, I enclosed a copy of some of Aiden`s Rubbermaid themed art work, and a link to this blog.

Well, today, as the kids and I were making crafts at the kitchen island, the phone rang.  I almost didn`t pick up because I didn`t recognize the area code, and have been getting a lot of telemarketing phone calls lately.  Why I picked up I dont know, but I am so glad I did.  Ìs this Natalie...`` a voice questioned from the line  ``Yes``, I replied, wondering how these people got my name, when the voice introduced himself.  He was a Mr. Tim Spence, calling not from some I`ll -just- take- 45- minutes- of- your- time operation, but from RUBBERMAID!!!!!!!  Yip, it`s true.  I still cannot believe it, but it is true.

He said that  they had recieved my letter, and that it had really touched their hearts.  They are arranging for a local distributor to provide my little janitorial-loving boy with a cleaning cart!!!!  I stood holding the phone in disbelief.  I simply could not believe that I had heard him correctly.  I would love to now state that I handled this phone call with great poise, and responded with some sort of appreciative communication.  However, the truth is that I broke down crying.  I was struck.  Not only by the overwhelming sensation that my baby`s dreams were going to come true, but also by the level of humanity and unbridled generosity being afforded Aiden by a complete stranger.

I can tell you this, from the couple of minutes I spent on the phone with Mr. Spence, I knew that I was speaking to someone with a kind, generous heart.  I honestly felt that making this phone call, and granting Aiden his heart`s desire was bringing him great joy, the man embodied a true giving spirit.

My son has been doubly blessed.  Not only will he recieve his cart, but the biggest gift is the lesson that the world is a good place, filled with good people.  That he has recieved great kindness from a complete stranger is what I hope he carries with him throughout his life.  Long after Rubbermaid products lose their glow.  My hope is that some day he will be the sort of person who gives to others, asking for nothing in return. 

So, the next time you are out shopping, and you`re trying to decide which product to buy, if Rubbermaid is a choice, let it be your pick!

Mr. Spence, and Rubbermaid, I do not know how to properly express my gratitude to you, for what you are giving my boy, and for the beautiful example you have set for him as well.  My true wish is that your kindness is repaid to you one hundred fold.

As for me, I have nothing else to wish for.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Natalie! What a wonderful, touching story. Aiden is a truly lucky boy to have a family that honours his pleasures and advocates for him on such an extreme level. Many parents would not even have the thought to write a letter to Rubbermaid but yet you do this for him over and over. A pat on the back for you from across the country! Tara (Boland) Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is so incredible, awesome, you name it, that's it! I'm so happy for you guys!!

    Makes me feel even better that all my storage containers ARE Rubermaid!!!

    I'm so glad to see humanity and kindness still exists. Thank you Mr. Spence for making a family's dream come true. Having a son with Asperger's myself, you have no idea how happy you've made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful! I am so happy for your little man!

    ReplyDelete